Getting A Canadian Visa
First of all, Canadia Tourist Visa is a short –term Canadian immigration choice that allows tourists to visit Canada for vacation. Therefore, a Canada tourist visa referred to as a Canada visitor visa or Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TVR). So the Canada tourist visa is for six months.
Whether it is your first time traveling to Canada or you are a returning traveler, you will require a visa to get in. Therefore, this step-by-step process will guide you to your dreams of going to Canada.
Nigerian passport holders need a tourist visit visa to enter into Canada. So, Visa applications need to be submitted online via the IRCC online system. Or through the VFS Global Canadian Visa Application Centre in Lagos or Abuja.
You should check your eligibility before beginning the application process.
Hence, this process is valid for Nigerian passport holders. The article is by research, so please check the Canadian embassy’s website for your visa should certain information has changed.
- Canadian Visitor/Tourist visas are of two types, which are as follows:
Single and multiple entry visa, both of which are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used even after expiration.
A single entry visa enables the visa owner to enter Canada only once. So, after the visa owner leaves Canada, except for traveling to the United States of America, he will require a new visa to enter Canada again. Furthermore, if the tourist is going to the United States, he will not need a new permit to re-enter Canada.
A multiple entry visa empowers a visitor to enter Canada for six months, without having to re-apply all over again. Also, this multiple entry visa can be valid for ten years, or one month before the visa holder’s passport expires, whichever happens, earlier.
Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Tourist Visa
For the eligibility criteria for a tourist/visitor visa, you need to meet the following requirements by proving that:
- Have a valid passport
- You are in good health
- The financial means required to pay for your expenses while in Canada
- Possession of a residence in your country, outside of Canada and other binding responsibilities that will show that you will go back to your home country after your visit to Canada ends.
- You will stay in Canada for a specific and short period
- An intention to leave Canada once your vacation is over.
- No intention to seek for a job while still in Canada
- No criminal history.
- Not pose as a security risk.
- You agree to live by the laws of the land.
- You may be requested to present yourself for a medical examination
Steps to follow when applying for a Canadian Tourist Visa
Before applying for Canada tourist/visitor visa, read the information on the visa/permit instructions on the CIC website to ascertain that you are eligible. If confident that you meet the eligibility requirements for the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
-Step 1: You can apply online or in a paper by physical submission.
Apply Online –To apply online, you need to have access to a valid credit card payment system and a scanner order to create electronic copies of your supporting documents. For online application, you can follow these procedures.
Apply on paper –To apply on paper, download the application forms and the relevant checklist and follow the steps outlined below.
Step 2: Fill out the tourist/visitor visa application form
Read the instruction guide and carefully fill up the form. Note that the completed application form must include the barcode page. The embassy will return or refuse your application if you do not make available all the requested information, documents, and fees.
Step 3: Make Your Application Payment
Pay the fees for your visa application. You make payments for your visa through bank draft or a certified cheque. Check for a fee schedule for current prices and bank draft details. Note that you must re-check this webpage just before paying for the latest information on visa application fees.
-Step 4: Submission Of Your Biometrics
Effective December 31, 2018, visa applicants from Nigeria are to submit their biometrics.
If you have submitted your biometrics once and are still the same, you don’t have to submit all over again. Should you receive a Biometric Instruction Letter from the embassy. You will have to visit the Canadian Visa Centre in your state within thirty days. So they could collect your biometric data.
Step 5: Visit the local Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC)
Visit the Canadian Visa Application Centre (CVAC) in your state. Also, remember to go along with your Nigerian passport, passport photographs, duly completed and endorsed forms, and all required and documents.
Step 6: Make Your Application Payment
Submit your completed application form at the Canadian Visa Application Centre, and make your payment. After making the payment, the embassy will give you a unique tracking number, which is necessary to follow up on the progress of your application online. You will also give your biometrics as part of the requirements.
Step 7: Follow up with your application online
Make use of your unique tracking number to track your application online.
Extension of Canadian Tourist/Visitor Visa
An applicant can extend Canadian tourist visa. To extend the permission, you need to apply for the extension 30 days before the expiry of the original permit.
Official Fees for Canada Tourist Visa Application
Visa fees for a single entry – CAD 100
Visa fees for the multiple entries – CAD 100 In both cases, you will have to add CAD 85 for your biometric fees.
Extension of Canadian Tourist Visa (temporary resident) – CAD 100
Should the office refuse your application, there will be no refund of the fee paid.
Rules for the Canadian Tourist/Visit Visa Application
The following are the dos and don’ts while applying for a Canadian tourist visa.
- Apply for your visa to Canada at least a few weeks before your planned travel date to give time for the visa application procedure to be completed before traveling.
- Fill up your application form with care, with all accurate information.
- Don’t forget to come along with all the forms and supporting documents for submitting your visa application documents and form.
- Do not present false and misleading documents for your visa.
- You must not misrepresent facts in your application.
- No formal appeal process is allowed if the embassy declines your request for a temporary resident visa. In case you wish to apply again, do so only after you have significant new information to submit.